Butterfly collection devices are not recommended for this test
- Sterilize the exposed rubber tube stopper using a 70% alcohol prep.
- Apply tourniquet to patient's arm and select vein.
- Prepare venipuncture site.
- Hold the ChloraPrep SEPP applicator with sponge tip facing downward and gently squeeze to break the ampule. Do not touch the tip.
- Saturate the tip with ChloraPrep by gently pressing it against the treatment area.
- Using a back and forth friction scrubbing motion, completely wet the treatment area for 30 seconds.
- Allow the prepped area to dry completely, approximately 30 seconds.
Do not blot or wipe the solution away, or fan or blow on the site, as this may result in contamination of the blood culture.
4. Immediatley following collection, mix sample thoroughly by gentle inverting 8 - 10 times, to prevent clotting