Transfer specimen to a Urine preservative vial/tube, C&S, or if specimen volume is not sufficient (minimum 4 mL), submit entire specimen in a sterile container (not optimum for off-site specimens-MUST be transported refrigerated within 24 hrs of collection).
- Transfer specimen into evacuated tube(s):
- Place collection container on a clean, flat surface.
- Place tip of transfer straw into urine specimen. The collection container may be tipped at an angle if volume of urine is limited.
- Place evacuated tube into holder, stopper down. Advance the tube over puncture point to pierce stopper. If filling multiple tubes, the BD Vacutainer® C&S Preservative Urine Tubes should be filled first
- Hold tube in position until filled.
- Remove tube from holder.
- Mix tube 8 - 10 times by inversion.
- If another tube is to be filled, leave transfer straw in container and repeat steps c - f.
- Lift transfer straw from cup and allow specimen to drain.
- Discard transfer straw in a biohazard container approved for sharps disposal per your facility’s recommended procedure.
- Label tube(s) with patient name, 2nd identifier, date and time of collection and indicate if specimen is "void", "cath" or "foley" collection.
Urine processing instructions (BD)